Monday, July 14, 2008

Sir John Everett Millais of the Pre-Raphaelite Brotherhood


Speaking of the Pre-Raphaelites, here is the 1852 painting "Ophelia" by one of its members Sir John Everett Millais. In this picture he creates "dense and elaborate pictorial surfaces based on the integration of naturalistic surfaces." A kind of "pictorial eco-system." This approach was promoted by Ruskin. It's too small to get a good impression, so double click on it to get the full size picture with all the detail. I don't know about you, but for some reason, looking at the woman, it makes me think, "This is so typical of something a soprano would like to do."

5 comments:

Quaestor said...

I wonder what a soprano would say in response...

Kurt Poterack said...

It seems no one will take the bait, unless I have another 15 minute strike in the Fall.

Kurt Poterack said...

"I want each and every one of you sopranos to know how special you are to me . . . I am sorry , , , "


There, now I've gotten the apology out of the way which I know they will demand.

Alaina said...

Apology accepted, at least by me. You should know just how extreme we will go to get the 'depth' of feeling you demand in our performances.

Sylvia said...

It's definitely something I would want to do! I've been dying to go swimming for weeks! I'm not sure I like her bathing costume, though . . .