Saturday, July 12, 2008

2008 Trip Across the Atlantic

Well, here it is. The blog which I promised to family and friends detailing the events of my trip to England and the continent. I will try to make it interesting and informative. It is called "Londinium" after the Latin name which the Romans gave to the town when it was founded along the shores of the Thames River back about 50 AD. Of course the English word "London" comes from this word. I will be in London from July 19th to the 22nd, after which I will be flying to Zurich, Switzerland to meet up with a tour group which will be studying sites important in the transmission of Gregorian chant. We will be in Switzerland and end up in Bavaria between July 22nd and August 1st. In London I will be catching as much of the London choir scene as I can - Westminster Cathedral, Brompton Oratory (as well as Westminster Abbey and St. Paul's). As you can tell I am a Roman Catholic Church musician who needs a vacation but can't quite take one, so this is my compromise. It's work related. I'm even going to give a lecture. So there. I don't have to feel too guilty.

I will try to post every day, but this depends partly on my ability to get internet access. We shall see. At least now I should be able to post every day before I go. In the days that follow I will give more details about my trip - and we will see if things go according to plan.

No comments: