Monday, July 21, 2008

Comments on Particulars

As I begin my third (and final) day in London, I would like to comment on the particular things:

MONEY: the exchange rate is almost exactly $2 to £1, although I have planned well enough so no problems. The bills are pretty enough. The coins take getting used to. They all have pictures of the Sovereign (Queen Elizabeth II) on them, but that is not the unusual thing. I cannot make any sense out of the size. Their penny is copper colored, like ours, and about the same size. Then they have the two pence ("tupence") which is also copper colored and about the size of our quarter. Their five pence piece looks almost exactly like our dime,it is silver,too. The ten pence looks like our quarter, but is silver rather than copper. The 20 pence piece is silver, about the size of a penny, but is seven-sized (you need this if you want to get into the public loos - these odd things that are somewhat like a telephone booth (no glass of course) and are stand alone, like in a traffic circle.)

They do not seem to have a one pound note - at least I have yet to recieve one. What I always get in change is a coin which is about the size of a twenty pence coin, but gold and thicker. Then there is a two-pound coin which is the biggest of all.

NATIONALITIES: there are, of course still many Anglo-Saxon types, but many Pakistani/Bangladeshi/East Indians (and think this was an older immigration),and, surprisingly, a noticeable number of Eastern Europeans (mainly Poles, I think) - you hear Polish spoken on the subway, in fact the gal sitting next to my on my flight out of Washington Dulles was Polish, but a British citizen. If there are many Middle Easterners, I have not yet seen them, unless they are blending in with the Pakistanis.

LANGUAGE: I still find the accent charming and am beginning to recognize the variations. In more formal situations, esp. from people of a certain status, the King's English is used. I heard this during the priest's homily (although it was funny to hear him mention counseling a newly married couple who had their first "row." (pronounced "rahw"). It is also funny to hear the recorded voice of the elegant British lady on the tube say, "This is a Picadilly line service to Cockfosters." Strange. Also, because there is a slight gap between the train and the platform they say, "mind the gap." I think we would just say, "watch your step." Also, it was announced that a particular stop was closed for "refurbishing." ("Sybill, I wish you wouldn't always be refurbishing yourself!")

Most ordinary people use something that is closer to Cockney (not anywhere near as bad as Eliza Doolittle), but there are many variations on this. But it is closer to the "'ello, 'ello" stereotype.

Certain words are accented differently. For them it is the week-END and the GA-rage. It is not just a shift of accent, it is a different type of an accent: more tonal than dynamic. We definitely are more flat and unmodulated in the way we speak. They do not speak in a sing-songy way like the Chinese, but there is definitely more pitch.

STREET SIGNS: I have seen none in London or Westminster. What first appear to be street signs (and definitely not on every corner) are signs pointing to important landmarks. The "street signs" are on the sides of corner buildings - when they appear (which is about 80-90 percent of the time). It took me almost an entire day to figure this out.

THE PEOPLE: Overall I have found them friendly and helpful. I have had four people approach ME asking for directions! Two of them were obviously tourists, but two of them had strong English accents ("'ere mate, can you help a bloke out."). They must not have been from London. Funny, I have had this happen in strange American cities. I don't know if this is something about me, or if everyone experiences this.

FOOD: I finally had some actual English food - at a cafe run by Pakistanis (whom I have found to be friendly). I had the traditional "full English breakfast." The "heart attack on a plate." But I only did it once - and am limiting myself to one major meal a day, anyway-and I didn't overly enjoy it. It was messy, sloppy: two sunnyside up eggs, baked beans, cooked sliced tomatoes, mushrooms, bangers (sausages), bacon - all mixed together. I preferred the French restaurant, which was more of an organic, gourmet cafe/bakery.

MEDIA: it is this odd combination of high class and low class - but that is not unknown in America (the New York Times AND the Tabloids). Some of the television is perfectly vulgar (at least we still have reticences for certain things, although it may not count for much, they seem to have none), but some of it is not so bad.

Well, that is all for now. I must get on the tube and go to the national Gallery. I will try to check in after Westminser Cathedral.

7 comments:

Anne said...

Hey, Kurt....very intersting commentary so far. Funny you should talk about the currency....Sam was just asking me last night whether you could bring him back some small examples of currency from the places you go. He's very much interested in this after our cruise to the Western Caribbean last month. He's got some examples from Belize and Honduras (we were on the island of Roatan) and I also gave him the $5 bill from the Bahamas I had from my cruise there over 20 years ago. He says to tell you he'll reimburse you whatever the proper exchange rate is. Don't inconvience yourself, but if you have some small denomonations left when you get back, Sam will "exchange" them to USD for you.

Interesting comment about the "shrine" to Darwin in Westminster...don't know whether that makes me want to laugh or cry.

And ok, Karl, I give...what's with the "harryjaloti"?

Kurt Poterack said...

Anne,

I am down to coins, but I will definitely bring some of this home for Sam. If he is interested.


Kurt

Kurt Poterack said...

Anne,

I should be able to save some Swiss Franc bills as the exchange rate was much better and I got many more of them. I will try.

Kurt

Anonymous said...

Fascinating that my son made many of the same comments about London eg

the currency--he said the sizes made NO SENSE

the cockfosters subway stop--he had to take that one.

FWIW, I believe I've seen "mind the gap" on subway/train platforms in NY/NJ referring to the actual gap between train car and platform. Robbie tried real hard to fall thru one in NJ, but we wouldn't let him.

One of my (east Indian) colleagues who regularly travels to/thru London says it is more of a third world country every time--referring to the immigration. I suspect many of the "Pakistanis" may be "other" middle easterners. Just guessing.

My understanding is that Switzerland will seem COMPLETELY different. I hear the Swiss think the Germans are disorganized.

Anne, my AIM name is harryjaloti JustAnotherLoserOnTehInternets

karl

Ken said...

I can't remember the exact figures, but recently it was reported that something like 30% of all new homes sold in the London "area" (I believe this would be analogous to what we call an MSA (Metropolitan Statistical Area)) were sold to people from Poland.

lover of beauty said...

The musicality of British is, of course, what makes it so appealing. I think it's a very significant part of why I gravitate to British movies. As you pointed out, American speech is incredibly flat. I hear it in myself all the time, and can't stand it. There isn't much I can do about it though, since it would be rather affected to start speaking in a British accent all the time.

Street Signs: Yes, it's that way in Italy too, at least in the older parts of cities and towns--takes a while to get used to.

Kurt Poterack said...

Christine,

You could try out a British accent in your voice lessons, and see how it goes! ; ^ )