Saturday, July 19, 2008

Arrived Safely

Everything went off without a hitch. Arrived in London. And then . . . had serious problems getting the internet to work. Serious frustrations. Yotel claimed they had Wi-Fi, but when my computer sensed nothing and I talked to the gal at the front desk she said, "we don't have that." When I pointed out that they say they do even in the literature left in the room she said, "well it doesn't work." I tried a number of other schemes-all frustrated-until I finally got this to work. I haven't left the airport yet. I must go see London.

Lots of charming accents even in the airport. I had a bohemian couple stop about ten feet in front of me on my way to customs. When the man realized I had to walk around them I could have sworn he said (in a Mick Jagger voice) "'ere, let's get out of the way luv, it aint fittin 'n propa"

He probably did. I have heard some of the other cliches, too.

Incidentally, this computer won't cut and paste. Yes the person at the terminal next to me confirmed this. Otherwise I would have started a new post with my sister Anne's interesting comment on Jane Austen, but read it as a comment under "final preparations."

3 comments:

Mom said...

Kurt, glad you arived safely. This is a great way to let us share in your trip. I hope your computer connections will be trouble free. Mom

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I'm told teh internets aren't as reliable in teh Old World....and their idea of customer service is different from ours.
At least that's what my son tells me; I've never left North America.

British currency has a couple of my favorites-- the 50 pound note, I believe it is, has Adam Smith. I think the 10 pound note has Charles Darwin. It would be as if we had Milton Friedman and, I don't know, Peter Drucker or W. Edwards Deming on greenbacks.

Have a great trip

Karl

Kurt Poterack said...

Mom and Karl,

good to here from you! Thank you for writing!