Thursday, July 17, 2008

Final Preparations

Yes, this is the day before I leave. I see that my "Original London Sightseeing Tour" Ticket arrived in the mail. I also have to finish writing my brief address on Heinrich Isaac's "Choralis Constantinus." I downloaded the the Introit for Easter Sunday (Resurrexi)recorded by the Tallis Scholars. Very medieval sounding in the beginning. After the incipit it began with open fifths and - I think - a double leading-tone cadence. Anyway this was 1508, not 1590. I think I shall compare Isaac's setting of the Resurrexi to Byrd's (I may have a recording by Chanticleer). Give the audience concrete examples - I can play both on my laptop.

Also, I checked out Jane Austen's "Persuasion" from the library upon the recommendation of a friend. Something to do on the long flight to England. I may blog on this, so you Janeites stay tuned.

---------
Update: I finished the "lectio brevis" on Isaac. People ask me if I am 'excited' about my trip. The answer is that, no, I will begin to be excited only when I am actually on the plane. Too many little things to worry about until then. I will only be able to relax when they are done. It's just the way I am.

P.S. I am excited about Isaac. We need more German popyphony in the choir - or at least earlier Renaissance polyphony (like Ockeghem) - its more manly and scary. [That's what we need at Mass, more testosterone and fright - but in a sacral way. (Just listen to me!)]

5 comments:

Anne said...

Hi, Kurt. This is your sister here. I see you're leaving...hope all your flights and everything go ok. LOL on the "I can't get excited about the trip until I know things work out" stuff...that's the way I was for our cruise last month. But it all worked out fine, as I am sure it will for you.
"Persuasion" is a pretty good book...not my favorite work of Austen's, but interesting. I have read most of her books and really enjoy her writing. Some people refer to her novels as "romances", but I really disagree. They are not true romances in my opinion, but more commentaries on human nature utilizing courtship and marriage as an incidental plot device. Two hundred years after her words were written, I can "recognize" her characters and their behavior in people I've known.
Anyway, have a good time in London, and if you run into Mr. Neutron or Mrs. S.C.U.M., say hi for me. And if you have time, try to see if you can find the Ministry of Silly Walks.

Alaina said...

I am all in favor of early polyphony! I admit I was somewhat heartbroken when we couldn't pull off the Des Prez Missa Pange Lingua for my graduation. Three cheers for scary sacral music!

Kurt Poterack said...

Alaina,

be prepared to be scared. Incidentally, I have yet to play for you or Ken "Kenny's Romp." Have you even heard that I wrte a piece for your son?

Kurt

Quaestor said...

Amen to more scary polyphony! Persuasion is one of Austen's best, I think. It was one of her last books, and I think more mature than earlier ones.

Alaina said...

Actually, Anthony spilled the beans a short while ago. I admit I've been quite eager to hear the piece. Kenny has been getting more and more interested and involved in music, so he ought to like it. We'll have to have a get-together sometime after you've recuperated from your trip. Looking forward to it!