Thursday, July 24, 2008

Abendessen

OK, I will tell you what I had for dinner. This hotel restaurant (Appenzellerhof) grows its own vegetables - just like the one in Reichenau - and they gave us a very good salad. On it, according to Fr. Skeris, I had to put vinegar and oil in the ration of 4:1. So I did. And it was surprisingly good. The bus driver with my name (Koort) ordered a "Weizenbier" so, since we had the same name, I thought I should order one too. I have never tasted beer this good. He only speaks German, but I could tell that he and Fr. Skeris were argueing the merits of the various Weisenbiers in Germany, Switzlerland and Austria. This one was made in the very town of Appenzeller. It means "wheat beer." Fr. Skeris said American beer is not as good because they replace some of the hopps with rice, because it is cheaper. Then we had cooked vegetables with chicken - raised in the town.

This dinner was on the house - except for the drinks - so I took advantage of it. However, I am going to have to be careful as I think I could gain weight. I have been losing weight up to this point. The food is healthy, but Fr. Skeris is not the best influence on me when it comes to eating - which he likes to do a lot of. (I like food, but I also like to fit in my pants.)

His perpetual joke is, "The life of a priest is a life of sacrifice . . . would you please pass the bread rolls?" In his defense, not only have I learned much from him over the years, he has a great way of dealing with people. Especially speaking German with the locals, you can tell people of all ages and types enjoy his liveliness. Interestingly the priest at the Abbey said a few things that were, well, not kosher theologically, but Fr. Skeris had a very clever way of showing respect for the man (who was older than him), his office, and his human dignity without just letting him get away with it. He had a playful, joshing, respectful, non-ruffled way of reacting.

I wish I could do that.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So was this just a local weizenbier? (I presume no Miller High Life there ;>)

The comment about the priest's life of sacrifice reminds me of a classic priest and rabbi joke.

rimshot

karl