Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Successful Party!

Well, I had my first party Sunday night at my apartment after my new steps were completed. I had students, former students, two of their children (ages: 1 1/2 and 1) - all told, around 15 people. I actually prepared too much food. It will go to use, later. I good time was had by all - as they say. Lots of good conversation and we all watched Hitchcock's "The 39 Steps" to celebrate the completion of the steps. It was my first time for that movie, and I still am not clear what the title meant, except that it was the name of the secret organization of spies. Why they choose that name, I don't know, but no actual "steps" were involved in the movie.

Oh, well.

I am planning on another party for the evening of November 1 (All Saints), so keep that free my dear blog-readers. I will send out a formal invitation soon. This will kind of be a "Byrd party." We will have sung the Byrd polyphonic propers from the Gradualia at Mass that day. Also, I have a movie on "The Two Lives of William Byrd" and will have two books: "Liturgy and Contemplation in Byrd's Gradualia" by Kerry McCarthy and "Byrd: a Celebration," which is a compilation of addresses given at the annual Byrd Festival held in Portland, Oregon.

More later.

3 comments:

Ken said...

In my experience, there are only two possible outcomes of a party via-a-vis the food: you made too much or you didn't make enough. It is virtually impossible to make just-enough. Thus, I have adopted the philosophy of better to have too much than not enough. Besides - party food makes pretty good snack food later ;-)

Sylvia said...

There's something so communal about all partaking of the same food, even if it's not a sit-down meal. I really think it can make or break a party to have enough refreshments or not. Your comestibles were very good, the movie was definitely entertaining, and I enjoyed the party a lot! Are you sure you don't want to show Hitchcock's The Birds at the next one? ;)

Kurt Poterack said...

Hitchcock's "The Birds." LOL! Now that is funny. Unfortunately the violence of the movie, from what I can tell - I have never seen the whole thing - would not contribute to the spirit of the party.