Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Cockney Expressions

From my trip to London and English movies I have seen:

'ere (here) - used to begin almost every sentence.

'ello (hello) - obviously a greeting, but used more for surprise or in a slightly leering fashion.

mumsie

milkified

bird

bloke

geezer - just means "man," not "old man," as in North America.

clobber - raincoat

me - often substituted for 'my.'

proper - it means the same thing as in America, they just use it more often where we would use other words (correct, real, etc.)

playing a fiddle - stealing money or supplies systematically from an employer.

cloth ears - used for someone who isn't listening.

bleedin' - an overused intesifying adjective that is not used in polite society, but I am not sure if it is a swear word or just 'common' - or somewhat in between.

[plus a whole bunch of other expressions I can't repeat]

3 comments:

Sylvia said...

Hehehe...I like "milkified." I believe "bloody" is a swear word in England, so I would imagine "bleedin" is along those lines also. Yet, they use the f-word like it's going out of style!

Anthony Smitha said...

I've heard some people say that "bloody" is a slang expression that came from "By Our Lady". I have no idea if it actually is, though...

Kurt Poterack said...

Whatever it's origins, it is only identified as an "intensifier" in the dictionary - and I doubt it would have appeared in a movie of this era (Alfie - 1966) if it were a bona fide swear word like the f-word. I think it is more a "common word" which wasn't considered "proper."